Monday, October 14, 2013

Serious games bring serious results to the classroom

For this exercise I chose to play 3rd World Farmer, a game that simulates the harsh realities and poor conditions of many farmers around the world. I played this game three times and each time ended abruptly due to external circumstances such as a corrupt government or environmental disasters. My family kept leaving to make a meager living elsewhere and eventually my farm always fell apart.
If I were to use this in a classroom I would only use it with advanced English Language Learners as the vocabulary is elevated and complex, while the task is intricate and multifaceted. My objective would be to analyze strategies that worked best and for students to provide cause and effect scenarios. They must play at least three times and each time provide their strategy, intended outcome and rationale, followed by the results and cause of failure or success. After these analyses they must reflect on how this game portrays the greater issue of survival for many individuals in the world. This would challenge students to approach the topic using the scientific method but then round it out to establish relativity to their own lives. Assessment of their writing and analysis would be sufficient for demonstrating comprehension. However, I would be very cautious in the group I chose to use this so as not to trivialize their own experiences in their home country. I recognize that this game could mirror their home life before Buffalo and I think would thus be inappropriate to use with some students. This game certainly has a valuable place in the classroom but as the case is with many activities, teachers must be aware of their students and tailor instruction to their individual needs and circumstances.

1 comment:

  1. You are very right to use any game like this cautiously. The background of the learners would make different games appropriate for different groups.

    ReplyDelete